SENIOR STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION CONSULTANT
Dick has been a public relations practitioner for 34 years after a 15-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor with The San Diego Union, Los Angeles Times, (San Diego) Evening Tribune and other daily newspapers. He is an Accredited Member (APR) of the Public Relations Society of America and a member of its Counselors Academy and Independent Practitioners’ Alliance.
In addition to his professional activities, Dick is a past chairman of the Escondido Chamber of Commerce and a past president of the 200-member Escondido Rotary Club. In November 2006, he was elected to the Escondido City Council where he served as Council Member, chairman of the Council Budget Committee, and Mayor Pro Tem for that city of 150,000 residents until completing his four-year term in December 2010 after an unsuccessful mayoral campaign.
- Hometown: El Centro, Calif.
- Alma Mater: San Jose State University (undergraduate) and the University of Missouri (graduate).
- What got you into PR?: The opportunity to solve communications problems and help organizations achieve awareness, understanding and support among their publics.
- Describe yourself in 3 words: Seasoned, independent, and analytical.
- PR advice to any company or celebrity: Build and maintain your reputation, based on doing the right things well. I’ll take it from there.
- Favorite quote to live by: Excellence is not a skill; it’s an attitude.